I wish I knew why…

Actually I wish I knew why about a lot of things, but in particular why things work sometimes and not others.

Monday most things worked well – I caught up with all the emails, did a lot of prep, phoned a lot of people, wrote the director’s report for my play, and had a good session with the Monday Writers. The only difficulty was with the Internet, and that was because The Cat keeps walking over the switch that turns the Internet access off.

But on Tuesday I had a bad session at the hospital. It was really busy, and when it’s like that it’s hard to find people to work with. But in the afternoon I had a really good session with my Cirencester group, although even that had a rather negative patch in the middle. I wrote a report for the Poetry Festival when I came home, and then went to see Kung Fu Panda 3. I know. There was nothing else on.

Wednesday morning was excellent! I had a session with some drama students from Worcester University, getting them to write poems about the lives of women in World War 1, and they came up with some really good stuff. I did lots of writeups and Artlift stuff and caught up with the emails.

I had my first session with a new group in Hereford on Thursday. There were 9 people on the list, and 4 came. I wish I knew why people say they want to do something and then don’t turn up… I’m sure they have very good reasons; I’m just curious. The ones who came were great, though – really having a go at unfamiliar ways of writing. In the afternoon I did lots of prep and put weedkiller on my drive, which has become more and more overgrown.. In the evening we had the TADS AGM and our normal meeting; at last we came to a decision about our next play, so that went well.

On Friday I was mostly at home – lots of Artlift stuff, and a call from someone who had applied for funding – they’ve got it! It means an interesting new project that I’ll be working on. I wrote the TADS minutes, and entered my play for a competition. I actually won this competition a few years ago, but I don’t know how they’ll feel about a comedy; they seem to go more for serious stuff. I did lots of Poetry on Loan stuff, tidied up a bit and – hooray! – finished the excruciatingly boring online training.

But oh, I wish I knew why some sessions go well and occasionally some don’t. I put lots of preparation into everything I do, and tailor sessions for each particular group, but – well, the session with young people on Saturday didn’t go all that well, and I’m not sure why. They just didn’t seem to be in the mood.

The Son came home on Saturday and gave me my mother’s day present – the biggest bar of Toblerone I have ever seen. I think it will take me a year to eat it. We went for lunch with The Daughter – a belated Mum’s day outing – and that was lovely.

Today I’ve looked at possible new cars, and – hooray! – finished some Artlift statistics that I’ve been trying to get done for weeks. And I’ve caught up with the emails, and managed to keep The Cat off the keyboard. I wish I knew why she likes doing this so much…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s