|“Brenda is the West Midlands’ Evaluation Queen!”
– West Midlands’ Arts Council Officer, 2005
I spent many years in business and the Civil Service as a project manager. I have a Prince 2 Foundation certificate, and have received formal training in MSP99 (CCTA Managing Successful Programmes methodology).
My work as Co-ordinator of Poetry on Loan (2008-12) draws heavily on my project management experience. Poetry on Loan promotes contemporary poetry through libraries in the West Midlands.
Prior to this, I worked part-time as a project manager for:
- The Reading Agency – North West region, 2006-10; Yorkshire and Humberside region, 2007-8; South West region, 2009-10.
- Poetry on Loan – Project manager for Throwaway Lines project, putting poetry on refuse trucks in Herefordshire, 2007-8.
- ArtShape, Gloucester (part-time, June 2002 – Feb 2003). Managing arts projects with a charity whose aim is to promote accessibility to the arts for those facing disabling barriers.
I spent two years (part-time) as Reader and Literature Development Officer for Herefordshire; starting August 2004. I have managed a number of the projects on which I have worked – determined aims and objectives, devised the project / action plan, conducted risk assessments, managed budgets, conducted and analysed evaluations, written final reports and recommendations. Such projects include:
- Reader in Residence with a group of carers, in association with Gloucestershire Libraries and a Dursley doctors’ surgery, spring 2006.
- Reader in Residence for Gloucestershire WI Big Read project, October 2005 – June 2006.
- Reader in Residence, Booktrust Bookscapes project, 2005-2006, working with young mums-to-be to develop a creative response to reading.
- Writer in Residence for Dorset, October 2005 – June 2006. This included co-ordinating tutors, venues and publicity for six 10-week creative writing courses (one of which I delivered) and six masterclasses for adults; running 6 full days of creative writing workshops for children; devising and creating a creative writing training pack for teachers and running teachers’ training sessions.
- Writer / project co-ordinator for Reading Arts’ Young Reviewers Project, January-July, 2004 (continued to Phase 2, October 2004 – June 2006), working with teenagers.
- Reader in Residence for Young People, Gloucestershire, 2002-2003.
- Reader in Residence for the Third Age, Worcestershire, 2002.